Technical Service Desk Support Specialist
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research (Garvan) is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. Its mission is to make significant contributions to medical research that will change the directions of science and medicine and have major impacts on human health. Garvan’s research encompasses immunology, bone biology, neuroscience, diabetes and metabolism, cancer, and genomics and epigenetics. These research activities are organised within four themes: Cancer, Inflammatory Diseases, Healthy Aging, and Genomics, and two Centres: the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics and the Garvan-Weizmann Centre for Cellular Genomics.
The Development and Support Group (DSG) led by a Chief Operating Officer exists to support the research work and this is composed of Finance, People and Culture, Business Development, Scientific Services, Engineering and Information Technology. The Garvan Research Foundation, though a separate legal entity accountable to its own Board, operates within the Institute organisation as a quasi-department of DSG. Several specialised research facilities exist to directly support the scientific research work.
The IT Group exists to provide all the data communications and computer systems required to enable the research outcomes and administration activities of the Garvan.
The Technical Service Desk Support Specialist is accountable for the day to day operation of the Garvan IT Service Desk. It is the first point of call that enables and supports scientists and support staff in their research.
The Technical Service Desk Support Specialist is responsible for:
- Providing a high level of 1st and 2nd level technical support via telephone, email and face-to-face to 600+ users
- Ensuring all helpdesk requests from internal customers are completed efficiently from setting up systems to maintenance and support of desktop workstations/laptops (software/hardware)
- Providing technical expertise in support services and being the central point of contact for Technology users, projecting a positive, customer focused image while resolving requests in a timely and efficient manner
- Full lifecycle ownership of all incidents and being responsible by following up on incidents and work requests escalated for resolution.
- Active Directory management and Windows networking
- Maintenance of printers and other peripheral equipment
- Supporting non-computer related equipment and hardware such as PABX, telephony systems, faxes, audio-visual equipment, monitor units, photocopiers
- Recording, updating and maintaining detailed information in the help desk ticketing database, ensuring escalations are assigned to appropriate Technical staff using Jira
You will possess the following skills and experience:
- Excellent customer service ethic with articulate communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience and familiarity with OSX and iOS, Windows 7/10, Microsoft Windows Server 2008/2012 and Microsoft Exchange environments
- Well versed with OSX and iOS and with Microsoft products such as Windows/Microsoft Office
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of networking; TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, Windows Server
- Relevant industry qualifications in IT (Tertiary/Microsoft certifications) or a recent degree in Computer Science or in an equivalent or in the final years of obtaining that degree
- Ability to learn the in-house and off the shelf software and business procedures
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a social, inspiring and positive working environment. You'll have the satisfaction of knowing that your work has a real impact on human health.
Located in modern offices, there is an on-site café and you are situated close to public transport and Darlinghurst’s trendy restaurants. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary, not-for-profit salary packaging and above market superannuation.
The position is offered on a permanent full time basis.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications /academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
As we are reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.