The Garvan Institute of Medical Research (Garvan) is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. Its mission is to make significant contributions to medical research that will change the directions of science and medicine and have major impacts on human health. Garvan’s research encompasses immunology, bone biology, neuroscience, diabetes and metabolism, cancer, and genomics and epigenetics. These research activities are organised within four themes: Cancer, Inflammatory Diseases, Healthy Aging, and Genomics, and two Centres: the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics and the Garvan-Weizmann Centre for Cellular Genomics.
Within the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics (KCCG) at Garvan we are harnessing the information of the genome to research, predict, prevent and treat disease, and to realise our vision of a future where everyone lives longer, healthier lives.
The KCCG Sequencing Laboratory assists in realising this vision by providing clinically accredited high-throughput genomic sequencing services. Our services utilise state-of-the-art sequencing technology, including the Illumina HiSeq X™ and NovaSeq™ platforms, supported by industry-leading laboratory automation and high performance computing infrastructure.
We are seeking a talented and experienced Laboratory Technician. The Laboratory Technician is responsible for the core operation of high-throughput sequencing laboratory by supporting Laboratory Scientists and Laboratory Manger with day-to-day work in KCCG Sequencing Laboratory.
Reporting to the Laboratory Manager, the key responsibilities include:
- Perform day-to-day work in a high throughput next generation sequencing laboratory including sample QC, library preparation and sequencer operation
- Ensure that all information is appropriately tracked through the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
- Perform laboratory maintenance procedures such as inventory management, equipment management and sample accessioning
- Some supervised analysis of QC and run metric data
- Participate in development of new processes and procedures as assigned
- Actively participate in team meetings including occasional representation of our group at larger organisational meeting
- Shift work may be required, including Saturdays if needed at a later stage
The role will be offered full-time for 1 year in the first instance.
The successful candidate will possess the following key skills and attributes:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry or related field
- Knowledge of molecular biology equipment and related protocols required
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required
- Good organisation skills and detail-oriented required
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a diverse, multi-cultural environment required
- Ability to multitask, along with an orientation toward teamwork and cooperation essential
- Experience working in a ISO accredited facility desirable
- Prior experience in a next generation sequencing laboratory desirable
- Prior experience operating automated liquid handling systems desirable
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
This role will remain open until filled. As we will be reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit yours as soon as possible.
Unfortunately, this position is not eligible for visa sponsorship by the Garvan. Only applicants with current, unrestricted working rights in Australia can be considered for this role.