The Garvan Institute of Medical Research (Garvan) is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. Its mission is to make significant contributions to medical research that will change the directions of science and medicine and have major impacts on human health. Garvan’s research encompasses immunology, bone biology, neuroscience, diabetes and metabolism, cancer, and genomics and epigenetics. These research activities are organised within four themes: Cancer, Inflammatory Diseases, Healthy Aging, and Genomics, and two Centres: the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics and the Garvan-Weizmann Centre for Cellular Genomics.
The IT Group, which sits within the Development and Support Group, exists to provide all the data communications and computer systems required to enable the research outcomes and administration activities of the Garvan.
Garvan’s information architecture is the basis for the deployment of over 20 information systems. Each system is designed and built in-house to meet the specific requirements of the research objectives of the Garvan Institute. Some of these systems are now in use across Australia, supporting similar research at collaborating institutes.
Reporting to the Applications Services Manager, the role is required to develop applications for Garvan research groups.
The Junior Developer is responsible for:
- Developing and enhancing Garvan applications (requirement gathering, data model and interface design, development, testing and delivery)
- Support of existing Garvan applications
- Support off the shelf applications
- Integrate off the shelf applications with the Garvan Applications architecture to address research requirements
- Adhering to the Garvan Applications standard practices and methodologies
You will possess the following skills and experience
- A degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- SQL and Python Programming skills
- Understanding of relational databases
- Knowledge of source control tools and processes (we use GitHub).
- A genuine interest in exploring and learning new technologies, frameworks and processes
- Be able to read and write clean, thought-out and reliable code.
- Be comfortable working on a project that isn’t clearly defined and able to navigate through fuzzy requirements.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
This position will be offered on a full time ongoing basis.
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
How to Apply
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
As we are reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.