Business Development Manager
Garvan’s research is focused upon understanding the genetic, molecular and cellular processes that underpin human biology, health and disease as the basis for developing future preventions, treatments and cures. To do this, it endeavours to attract, support and sustain the most gifted scientists.
Our research support teams are no different, and are focused on the same outcomes by providing the infrastructure and pathways to enable research excellence and implementation into the healthcare system and the innovation economy. Like our scientists, we only recruit the best talent for our support teams. Our support teams are experts in their fields and are driven by the dynamic culture, cutting edge facilities and innovative research that the Garvan offers.
The Business Development and Innovation (BDI) Office undertakes a number of core functions:
- Innovation and new technology assessment
- Intellectual Property (IP) capture and management,
- Commercial assessment, market analysis and business planning
- Commercialisation projects and spin-offs
- Business development, licensing and investment
We are currently seeking a commercially astute Business Development Manager to work within our small, busy BDI team. Reporting to the Head, Business Development and Innovation, the BD Manager primarily manages activities relating to promoting and marketing of various Garvan IP, projects, capabilities and/or proposals (commercialisation opportunities) and the establishment of collaborations, and licensing agreements with industry and strategic partners. The BD Manager will nonetheless, have exposure to and support the other BDI functions also working in close cooperation with the legal team and the facilities team as part of operations.
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing and executing a marketing and engagement strategy to establish and develop collaborations, and licensing agreements with industry and strategic partners including:
- Identifying and initiating contact with potential industry and strategic partners as well as maintaining existing industry partnerships with pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies.
- Identifying and reviewing commercialisation opportunities and preparing marketing plans and marketing materials for their promotion to industry and strategic partners.
- Developing and negotiating commercial and IP terms on behalf of Garvan in relation to material transfers, licenses, or contract research.
- Facilitating collaborations between Garvan researchers and researchers in other organisations which can value-add to Garvan technologies, for the express purpose of increasing clinical and commercial relevance
- Procuring funding for Garvan commercialisation projects from sources of venture and development funding
- Attending external conferences to promote the Institute, develop partnerships and network with related contacts.
- Conducting internal training programs with scientists relating to business development, commercialisation and other industry engagement activities
- Supporting other activities such as commercial assessment, market analysis and business planning; commercialisation projects and prespin-offs; innovation and new technology assessment; and IP management and strategy
You will possess the following key qualifications and skills:
- PhD level knowledge and exposure to post-doctoral research in molecular biology, bioinformatics, biochemistry or other related disciplines
- Pharmaceutical, biotechnology or life sciences industry exposure is highly desirable
- Strong knowledge and proven competence in intellectual property and patent portfolio management, and experience with licensing
- Good knowledge and aptitude for business development and client relationship management
- Experience with negotiating Non-Disclosure Agreements, Material Transfer Agreements and license agreements
- Ability to develop, manage and maintain internal and external relationships
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Highly developed written and verbal communications skills, including strong presentation and facilitation skills
- Strong project management and organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise and work to deadlines independently
- Computer literacy, experience and competent in the suite of Microsoft Office software (i.e. Word, PowerPoint and Excel), MS Project and equivalent on Mac platforms
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a social, inspiring and positive working environment. You'll have the satisfaction of knowing that your work has a real impact on human health.
Located in modern offices, there is an on-site café and you are situated close to public transport and Darlinghurst’s trendy restaurants. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary, not-for-profit salary packaging and above market superannuation.
The position is offered full-time for 3 years in the first instance.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
As we are reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.