Laboratory Manager - Genome.One
Genome.One (www.genome.one) operates the largest genome sequencing facility in the Southern Hemisphere & is Australia's premium provider of whole genome sequencing.
Our primary focus is to provide a state-of-the-art genomic pathology service across Australia to assist clinical diagnosis based on personalised genomic information.
This opportunity is for a Laboratory Manager to join Genome.One. Working closely with the Principal Scientist, key responsibilities include:
- All operational aspects of production laboratory including management of lab staff, oversight of laboratory processes, and alignment of processes to organisational goals.
- Supervision and management of the staff of the laboratory (laboratory scientists and laboratory technicians), including staff allocation, organisation of staff training programs, staff reviews, staff appraisal and selection.
- Ensuring the quality, accuracy, relevance, timeliness and cost effectiveness of all "wet lab" processes at Genome.One.
- Overseeing the operation and administration of the laboratory and ancillary services to ensure patient safety and service quality is maintained
- Ensuring that results of work undertaken within the laboratory are accurately recorded, reviewed and reported.
- Ensuring the performance of the laboratory by monitoring key performance indicators including turn-around time, quality metrics and client interactions.
- Ultimate responsibility for the resolution and root cause analysis of all non-conformities within the laboratory.
- Providing summary reports to the Genome.One Executive via the Principal Scientist to ensure transparency of operations.
- Perform the financial operations of the department. This includes budget control and resource allocation including planning and budgeting, purchasing and the maintenance of equipment
- Manage and control stock, equipment and services to the laboratory. This includes purchasing control of all stock and non-stock material, the control of equipment repairs, maintenance contracts and the lodging of tenders; and ensuring that the selection and monitoring of laboratory suppliers is open, transparent and consistent with clinical regulation
- Monitor laboratory compliance with good practice to ensure the health, safety and welfare of employees, visitors and contractors; in accordance with: Garvan's Work, Health and Safety; Garvan’s Privacy and Genome.One’s Code of Conduct policies and procedures.
Required Skills and Experience
- Degree in Biology, Genetics, or Chemistry required
- Expert knowledge of process improvement or experimental design required
- Excellent people management skills required
- 5+ years experience in a research or production laboratory is strongly preferred
- 2+ years in a leadership role preferred
- Previous experience in NGS, particularly with Illumina technology strongly preferred
- Experience in clinical genomics preferred
- Experience with ISO 15189 or CLIA preferred
- Proven ability to cost and budget a process is desired
Genome.One is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Garvan Institute of Medical Research. Genome.One partners with organisations across Australia and the world with a focus in four areas: Disease Diagnostics, Discovery Genomics, Personal Health Genomics and Precision Health Applications.
Genome.One is Australia’s first clinical whole genome testing service to provide diagnoses that can guide the care of individuals who are affected by genetic disease and recently launched Australia’s first whole genome and health assessment service for individuals interested in understanding their health risks now and in the future.
How to apply
Please submit your application at: http://garvan.applynow.net.au/jobs/GC201811
In addition to your CV and cover letter please also attach relevant qualifications.