Molecular Laboratory Technician - Garvan Weizmann Centre for Cellular Genomics (GWCCG)
At Garvan our research is focused upon understanding the role of genes and molecular and cellular processes in health and disease as the basis for developing future preventions, treatments and cures. Our scientists are researchers who work towards making significant breakthroughs in scientific discovery to positively impact human health.
The Garvan Weizmann Centre for Cellular Genomics (GWCCG) will open in 2017 and is Australia’s only multidisciplinary facility for cellular genomics – the study of the molecular genetic states of thousands of individual cells. The Weizmann Institute of Science has outstanding expertise in single-cell genomics and in other key emerging technologies; the Garvan Institute of Medical Research is a leader in the analysis of cancer genomes and their behaviour and is at the forefront of genome sequencing in Australia. Together, researchers from the two institutes hope to create synergistic research platforms to advance cellular genomics and its application to a broad range of disease. In addition, the Centre’s establishment will form the foundation for a broad and enduring partnership between Garvan and the Weizmann Institute.
We are now seeking a molecular laboratory technician to drive the processing and tracking of samples through our various service offerings encompassing both bulk and single-cell technologies in our high-throughput facility. Additionally, there will be opportunities to assist the Molecular Specialist in the development, implementation and roll out of the physical infrastructure and protocols required to support high complexity molecular analysis at both the bulk and single cell levels.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform day-to-day work in a high throughput molecular laboratory
- Carry out procedures associated with sequencing on various Illumina platforms including sample quantification and qualification, library preparation and sequencer operation
- Perform the molecular protocols associated with various single-cell and bulk sequencing modalities including, but not limited to, mRNA-seq, total RNA-seq, InDrop, DropSeq and Smart-Seq.
- Participate with core functions such as inventory management (LIMS) and sample accessioning
- To actively participate in meetings associated with the research of the Centre and departmental meetings and/or committees to which they are assigned
- Assist senior researchers in the development of immature technologies into reproducible, automated processes ready for service deployment
- Conduct other laboratory work as needed
Skills & Experience required for this role
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry or related field
- Experience with molecular analysis techniques required
- Knowledge of molecular biology protocols associated with single-cell transcriptomics, preferred
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Prior experience operating automated liquid handling systems desirable
- Experience in a next generation sequencing lab and with the Illumina platform, preferred
- Good organizational skills, detail-oriented and the ability to work independently and efficiently are essential
- Ability to multitask is a must, along with an orientation toward teamwork and cooperation
- Strong creative thinking and problem solving skills
In return you will be rewarded with a competitive remuneration including superannuation contributions and generous salary packaging arrangements.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Candidates are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible
How to Apply
Please prepare and submit your application as per the directions below:
- A Cover Letter addressing the Selection Criteria above
- Your Resume including 3 Referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / Academic transcripts