Head - Business Development and Innovation
Garvan’s research is focused upon understanding the genetic, molecular and cellular processes that underpin human biology, health and disease as the basis for developing future preventions, treatments and cures. To do this it endeavours to attract, support a sustain the most gifted scientists.
Our administration and support teams are no different, and are focused on the same outcomes by providing the infrastructure and pathways to enable research excellence and implementation into the healthcare system and the innovation economy. Like our Scientists, we only recruit the best talent in areas of Building Services, Scientific Facilities, Legal and Commercial Partnerships, IT, Finance and Human Resources. Our support teams are experts in their fields and are driven by the dynamic culture, cutting edge facilities and innovative research that the Garvan offers. At Garvan no two days are the same.
We are currently seeking to appoint a commercially astute Senior Manager to take a lead role in commercial strategy and business development, with responsibility for commercial partner technology matching and building and maintaining industry relationships. As Head of Business Development & Innovation, you will work closely with the Executive Director, COO, CSO, Garvan researchers and its Partnerships & Legal Team.
The successful candidate will possess the following key skills and attributes:
- A PhD. in molecular biology, cell biology, genomics or biochemistry (essential), with postgraduate qualifications in business related fields (desirable)
- Post-doctoral experience in research and in industry, business development or technology transfer
- Proven business acumen with a track record in identifying and commercialising IP in a pharmaceutical, biotechnology or academic environment
- Ability to think strategically and creatively about opportunities for the commercial development of IP and ideas
- Excellent client engagement and relationship skills
- Ability to work in a small team of professionals and to utilise their combined talents
Key responsibilities and duties include:
- Working with Garvan executives and researchers to guide the Institute’s approach to maximising the value of its Intellectual Property (IP) and technologies
- Acting as a champion of innovation within Garvan and actively facilitating a culture of ideas and innovation across the Institute
- Taking a lead role in identifying and initiating discussions with potential industry partners to develop Garvan research and technologies
- Coordinating of commercial intelligence gathering activities for the purpose of identifying potential commercial partners
- Liaising with funders, venture capital providers and potential licensees for intellectual property developed at Garvan
- Managing, co-ordinating and delivering of day to day business development activities
- Actively increasing the awareness of Garvan staff on policies and processes relating to protection, management and commercialisation of intellectual property including the preparation of material and the running of training workshops
How to apply
All applications MUST be submitted via Garvan’s careers website: http://www.garvan.applynow.net.au/jobs/
Please prepare and submit your application as per the directions below:
- A Cover Letter
- CV including 3 Referees
We are reviewing applications as they are received. This position will remain open until filled.