Veterinary Manager - Biological Testing Facility
- Full time position
- Immediately Available
At Garvan our research is focused on understanding the role of genes, molecular and cellular processes in health and disease as the basis for developing future preventions, treatments and cures. Our scientists are researchers who work towards making significant breakthroughs in scientific discovery to positively impact human health.
The Biological Testing Facility (BTF) is a centralised, specific pathogen free facility, specialising in the care of experimental animals including genetically modified mice, zebrafish and rats. The facility contains state of the art equipment in imaging, behavioural, infectious, irradiation and quarantine zones. Our staff are talented technicians who focus on providing exceptional services to our scientists.
There is currently an opportunity for an experienced veterinarian to take on the role of BTF Veterinary Manager. This position will be responsible for leading a small team of experienced Animal Care Staff; and will focus on ensuring the optimal welfare of experimental animals and efficient facility operations.
Responsibilities will include:
- Leadership and training of animal care staff
- Development of quality operating procedures
- Training of researchers in animal handling, procedures and monitoring
- Provision of veterinary support including disease investigation and welfare assessments
- Management of space and equipment to support changing research requirements
- Financial management of a cost recovery facility
- Ensure compliance with relevant legislation by working in conjunction with the Garvan’s Animal Welfare Officer and compliance team
We are looking for a veterinarian who can be registered in NSW, with a strong commitment to animal welfare, who is interested in supporting animal based research. The successful applicant will have excellent communication and organisational skills, and solid clinical veterinary experience. A mature approach to staff management, and the ability to work in a variety of teams is essential. Previous experience working in a medical research facility is highly desirable.
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
How to Apply
Please prepare and submit your application as per the directions below:
- A Cover Letter addressing the Selection Criteria above
- Your Resume including 3 Referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / Academic transcripts