Purchasing Officer – Part time
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research (Garvan) is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. Its mission is to make significant contributions to medical research that will change the directions of science and medicine and have major impacts on human health. Garvan’s research encompasses immunology, bone biology, neuroscience, diabetes and metabolism, cancer, and genomics and epigenetics. These research activities are organised within four themes: Cancer, Inflammatory Diseases, Healthy Aging, and Genomics, and two Centres: the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics and the Garvan-Weizmann Centre for Cellular Genomics.
The Development and Support Group (DSG) led by a Chief Operating Officer exists to support the research work and this is composed of Finance, People and Culture, Business Development, Scientific Services, Engineering and Information Technology. The Garvan Research Foundation, though a separate legal entity accountable to its own Board, operates within the Institute organisation as a quasi department of DSG. Several specialised research facilities exist to directly support the scientific research work.
The Purchasing Department is part of Finance function within the Development and Support Group. It supports the Institute through the regular planning, controlling and reporting of the financial operations of the Institute including the Garvan Research Foundation and related entities.
The Purchasing Officer is accountable for the efficient purchasing of goods and services for the Garvan group. Working closely with the Purchasing Manager, duties include processing purchase orders, maintenance of catalogue items in the Workday ERP, timely communication of supply issues with suppliers and internal requisitioners. The position holder may be expected to perform other administrative tasks assigned by the Purchasing Manager or Head of Finance from time to time.
The position is offered on a part time basis (3 days per week) and is a permanent position.
The Purchasing Officer is responsible for:
- Processing purchase orders with both national and international suppliers and ensure efficient purchasing of goods and services for the Garvan group
- Providing timely and effective communication of supply issues to stakeholders and ensure regular maintenance of catalogue items in the system
- Negotiating with suppliers to achieve the best price possible and source product/ services in Workday for each supplier
- Creating supplier contracts in Workday, issuing purchase order numbers and following up with suppliers to confirm or change orders
- Collecting invoices and delivery dockets from stores and filling invoices and delivery dockets
- Fulfilling other duties as assigned by the Purchasing Manager and fill in for the Purchasing Manager during periods of leave
You will possess the following skills and experience:
- Proven experience within a Purchasing function with at least 2 years of experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly proficient computer skills with experience in using any procurement tool
- Good reconciliation and investigation skills
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure with strong troubleshooting skills
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a social, inspiring and positive working environment. You'll have the satisfaction of knowing that your work has a real impact on human health.
Located in modern offices, there is an on-site café and you are situated close to public transport and Darlinghurst’s trendy restaurants. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary, not-for-profit salary packaging and above market superannuation
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Please include your CV with a cover letter in your application. Only applicants with working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
This position will remain open until filled. We’ll review applications as they are received, please submit your application as soon as possible.