Junior Legal Counsel
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. We pioneer study into the most widespread diseases affecting our community today, including cancer, diabetes and obesity, neurodegenerative diseases, disorders of the immune system, osteoporosis and other skeletal disorders.
The Garvan Legal Office sits within the Development and Support Group (DSG) led by the Chief Operating Officer. The Legal Office works with relevant internal stakeholders to ensure that Garvan’s corporate, research and commercial activities are conducted in a way that is in alignment with Garvan’s mission, to ensure that Garvan maximises returns from its commercial activities and to ensure that the Institute takes a responsible approach to risk management.
We are seeking a Junior Legal Counsel with a minimum of 1 year post qualification experience to work in our legal team. The junior legal counsel will provide legal advice and support on a diverse range of corporate and commercial law matters to the Institute and assist senior lawyers in negotiating, reviewing and managing agreements relating to research activities and intellectual property. This position works closely with other Institute offices including Business Development & Innovation, Grants and Research Governance and Garvan Research Foundation and Australian BioResources to ensure agreements entered into by the Institute are appropriately risk managed and consistent with Garvan’s strategic research objectives.
Key responsibilities of the position includes:
- Negotiating, preparing and managing a range of commercial agreements including confidentiality agreements, licenses, services agreements and procurement agreements
- Negotiating and drafting agreements to facilitate research and related activities including research agreements, agreements for the transfer of materials and data, funding and grant agreements with government, philanthropic funding bodies and commercial organisations and also agreements related to intellectual property management, ownership and protection
- Liaising with Garvan Research Foundation to provide legal services such as corporate sponsorship arrangements, promotional initiatives and managing external counsel retained in connection with estate/probate matters
- Monitoring changes in legislation and assessing their impact on Garvan
- Managing the contract management system and provide continuous improvement
- Assisting with the internal training program including contracts for non-lawyers, privacy
- Minimum 1 year PQE
- Bachelor of Law and current practicing certificate with experience in commercial contracts with good drafting skills
- Ability to build rapport and maintain solid working relationships with internal (researchers, support team) and external stakeholders
- Ability to priorities, manage expectations, deadlines and deliver within an appropriate timeframe
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting and communication skills
- Good influencing and negotiating skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Some knowledge of or interest in intellectual property law or privacy law will be highly regarded
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
This role will remain open until 24 August 2019. As we will be reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit yours as soon as possible.