Scientific Supervisor – On Call Consultant
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research (Garvan) is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. Its mission is to make significant contributions to medical research that will change the directions of science and medicine and have major impacts on human health. Garvan’s research encompasses immunology, bone biology, neuroscience, diabetes and metabolism, cancer, and genomics and epigenetics. These research activities are organised within four themes: Cancer, Inflammatory Diseases, Healthy Aging, and Genomics, and two Centres: the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics and the Garvan-Weizmann Centre for Cellular Genomics.
The GMG facility at Garvan is a high throughput sequencing, nucleic acid extraction and genotyping service provider. The facility provides scientific services to researchers in the Garvan/St Vincent precinct and Australia wide. These services and the scientific instruments of the facility are part of the core facility infrastructure of Garvan.
The Scientific Supervisor is a medical practitioner/ genetic pathologist with appropriate qualifications, competence and elaborate experience in molecular genetics who is responsible for the governance of the clinical services (currently Sanger Sequencing & Nucleic Acid Extraction) in Garvan’s Molecular Genetic Core Facility. The Scientific Supervisor will provide oversight of the laboratory’s clinical services in accordance with the requirements of the National Pathology Accreditation Advisory Council (NPAAC), the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) and ISO15189, and must be contactable for consultation during normal working hours of the laboratory when not in physical attendance.
Scientific Supervisor’s operational responsibilities will be delegated to the GMG Chief Scientist and/or Facility Manager. After an initial familiarisation phase it is also envisaged that the supervision plan may be modified in consultation with the incumbent to focus upon quarterly meetings with the scientific coordinators and an annual general meeting which reviews the effectiveness of the laboratory’s Quality Management System (QMS).
The position is offered as a one year ‘On Call’ Consultant with year on year extension.
The Scientific Supervisor under whose direction and control the clinically accredited laboratory service operates, will in consultation with laboratory management:
- Responsible for operational practices and staffing of the laboratory including training supervision of staff performing clinical tests
- Reviewing and approving the range of tests provided, their methods and procedures
- Ensuring regular review of the laboratory’s QMS, proficiency testing data, laboratory reports and discussion of all aspects of the laboratory’s performance with the scientific staff
- Providing appropriate consultation on medical and scientific issues
- Ensuring that the procedures used and the tests performed are within the scope of the education, training, continuing professional development and experience of the individual staff
- Ensuring that any work performed at the laboratory outside normal working hours is carried out only by scientific or technical staff with appropriate training and experience, approved by the supervising scientist or senior scientist.
You will possess the following skills and experience:
- 10+ years of experience as a medical practitioner in the area of Genetics
- Knowledge in the area of Nucleic Acid Extraction, Sanger Sequencing is preferred
- Knowledge of Quality Management, specifically ISO15189
- Extremely planned and organised with the ability to remotely supervise and be available to provide ‘On Call’ consultancy
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a social, inspiring and positive working environment. You'll have the satisfaction of knowing that your work has a real impact on human health.
Located in modern offices, there is an on-site café and you are situated close to public transport and Darlinghurst’s trendy restaurants. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary, not-for-profit salary packaging and above market superannuation.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts / practice certificate
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
As we are reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.