The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. We pioneer study into the most widespread diseases affecting our community today, including cancer, diabetes and obesity, neurodegenerative diseases, disorders of the immune system, osteoporosis and other skeletal disorders.
The Garvan Legal Office sits within the Development and Support Group (DSG) led by the Chief Operating Officer. The Legal Office works with relevant internal stakeholders to ensure that Garvan’s corporate, research and commercial activities are conducted in a way that is in alignment with Garvan’s mission, to provide pragmatic legal advice and to ensure that the Institute takes a responsible approach to risk management.
We are seeking a Legal Counsel with 5+ years post admission experience to work in our legal team. The Legal Counsel will take a lead role in negotiating, reviewing and managing agreements relating to the Institute’s corporate and research activities and intellectual property. The Legal Counsel works closely with Garvan’s research themes and internal stakeholders including Business Development & Innovation, Grants and Research Governance to ensure agreements entered into by the Institute are appropriately risk managed and consistent with Garvan’s strategic objectives. Reporting to the General Counsel this is a fantastic opportunity to use your skills while working in one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes.
Key responsibilities of the position includes:
- Negotiating, preparing and managing a range of commercial agreements including Confidentiality Agreements, licences, services agreements and procurement agreements
- Negotiating, preparing and managing a range of agreements to facilitate research and related activities at Garvan including research agreements, agreements for the transfer of materials and data, funding and grant agreements with government and philanthropic funding bodies, agreements relating to intellectual property management, ownership and protection
- Evaluating the needs of internal and external stakeholders and providing guidance and solutions on any legal obligations, risks and changes under any agreements with Garvan
- Managing external contracting arrangements including monitoring activities post-contract, renegotiations and amendments
- Working with the Business Development and Innovation group on intellectual property strategy, and transfer between Garvan and external academic and commercial organisations
- Assist General Counsel with Legal Office system and process improvements
- Training and mentoring junior staff
- Facilitating internal training programs including training on contracts for non-lawyers and privacy
- 5+ years of PQE, including at least 3 years in private practice
- Extensive commercial contracts drafting experience
- Excellent strategic, analytical and communication skills
- Effective relationship builder with demonstrated ability to work both as part of an inter-disciplinary team and independently with limited supervision
- Ability to prioritise, manage expectations, deadlines and deliver within an appropriate timeframe
- Prior experience working in an in-house environment in a technology transfer office for a medical research institute, university, biotech/pharma company or other research organisation along with experience in intellectual property law or privacy law will be highly regarded
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
This role will remain open until 23 August 2019. As we will be reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit yours as soon as possible