The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. We pioneer study into the most widespread diseases affecting our community today, including cancer, neurodegenerative and mental diseases, disorders of the immune system, diabetes and obesity, osteoporosis and other skeletal disorders.
The Australian Genomic Cancer Medicine Program (AGCMP) encompasses several cohort studies to improve the understanding, early detection, prevention and management of cancer. This includes the Molecular Screening and Therapeutics (MoST) Program and the Genetic Cancer Risk in the Young Study which are recruiting patients at multiple sites in Australia. A Research Coordinator is required to primarily be part of the MoST team.
Reporting to the Group Leader – Genetic Cancer Risk, the key responsibilities include the following:
- Identify suitable research participants
- Explain the research projects and obtain informed consent
- Arrange appointments with study participants
- Provide general information about the projects
- Administer research questionnaires using professional interview techniques
- Coordinate blood collections and liaise with pathology services to obtain tumour samples, coordinate sample transfer and storage
- Collect clinical data and perform data entry
- Coordinate all aspects of study participation in a well-organised manner
- Ensure data security is maintained to protect patient records, both physically and electronically
The role will be offered full time for 1 year in the first instance.
The successful candidate should possess the following:
- An appropriate science, psychology or related degree, or equivalent
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Well-developed administrative abilities
- A strong commitment to quality
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Sensitivity to patients privacy and needs
- Excellent attention to detail
- Consistent interpretation of data
- Previous experience in a similar role
- Clinical experience
- Knowledge and/or experience with database systems and records management
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Closing Date: This role will remain open until July 19, 2019. As we will be reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit yours as soon as possible.