Technical Service Desk Support Specialist
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research (Garvan) is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. Its mission is to make significant contributions to medical research that will change the directions of science and medicine and have major impacts on human health. Garvan’s research encompasses immunology, bone biology, neuroscience, diabetes and metabolism, cancer, and genomics and epigenetics. These research activities are organised within four themes: Cancer, Inflammatory Diseases, Healthy Aging, and Genomics, and two Centres: the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics and the Garvan-Weizmann Centre for Cellular Genomics.
The Development and Support Group (DSG) led by a Chief Operating Officer exists to support the research work and this is composed of Finance, Human Resources, Business Development, Scientific Services, Engineering and Information Technology. The Garvan Research Foundation, though a separate legal entity accountable to its own Board, operates within the Institute organisation as a quasi department of DSG. Several specialised research facilities exist to directly support the scientific research work.
The IT Group exists to provide all the data communications and computer systems required to enable the research outcomes and administration activities of the Garvan.
The Technical Service Desk Support Specialist is accountable for the day to day operation of the Garvan IT Service Desk. It is the first point of call that enables and supports scientists and support staff in their research.
The Technical Service Desk Support Specialist is responsible for:
- Providing a high level of 1st and 2nd level technical support via telephone, email and face-to-face to 800+ users
- Ensuring all helpdesk requests are completed efficiently: setup, maintain and support client desktop workstations/laptops (software/hardware)
- Provide technical expertise in the provision of support services and a central point of contact for Technology users, projecting a positive, customer focussed image while resolving requests in a timely and efficient manner.
- Full lifecycle ownership of all incidents and being responsible by following up on incidents and work requests escalated for resolution.
- Support of OSX and iOS
- Support of Microsoft products such as Windows/Microsoft Office
- Active Directory management and Windows networking
- Maintenance of printers and other peripheral equipment
- Support of non-computer related equipment and hardware such as PABX, telephony systems, faxes, audio-visual equipment, monitor units, photocopiers
- Record, update and maintain detailed information in the help desk ticketing database, ensuring escalations are assigned to appropriate Technical staff
- Maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction within the business; and
- Ability to learn the in-house and off the shelf software and business procedures.
- All staff are required to comply with Garvan’s Work Health & Safety (WHS) Policy and work in accordance with the WHS management system at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
You will possess the following skills and experience:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to multi-task and work quickly under pressure
- Flexible and reliable
- Computer literate
- Experience in a similar Helpdesk/Service Desk Support role with 100+ users in a professional environment
- Excellent customer service ethic with a focus on providing a high level of service
- Relevant industry qualifications in IT (Tertiary/Microsoft certifications)
- Experience and familiarity with OSX and iOS, Windows 7/10, Microsoft Windows Server 2008/2012 and Microsoft Exchange environments, including Office365
- Active Directory / Group Policies
- Demonstrated knowledge of networking; TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, Windows Server
- Strong research and troubleshooting ability
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A degree in Computer Science or in an equivalent or in the final years of obtaining that degree.
How to Apply:
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
The position is offered on a full time basis and is a permanent position.
Closing Date: This role will remain open until filled. As we will be reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit yours as soon as possible.