The Garvan Institute of Medical Research (Garvan) is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. Its mission is to make significant contributions to medical research that will change the directions of science and medicine and have major impacts on human health. Garvan’s research encompasses immunology, bone biology, neuroscience, diabetes and metabolism, cancer, and genomics and epigenetics. These research activities are organised within four themes: Cancer, Inflammatory Diseases, Healthy Aging, and Genomics, and two Centres: the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics and the Garvan-Weizmann Centre for Cellular Genomics.
The Garvan Operations Groups is charged with delivering services and support to the Garvan and tenanted population of the Institute. Operations, through its discrete departments, provide services in the areas of Engineering Services, Building Services, Scientific Services and WHS. Garvan Operations is to provide services safely, promptly and professionally at all times.
Reporting to the Engineering Services Manager, the role supports the smooth operation of the institutes engineering services by effectively coordinating the engineering services office.
The key responsibilities include:
- Preparation of correspondence and responding to queries
- Preparation of presentations and reports
- Liaison with employees, contractors and vendors
- Providing administrative support to the engineering team
- Implementing and maintaining procedures/office administrative systems
- All staff are required to comply with Garvan’s Work Health & Safety (WHS) Policy and work in accordance with the WHS management system at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
The key skills and experience include:
- Experience with office management in a similar facility or building management
- Have excellent time management skills
- The ability to “make things happen”
- Professional and proactive ‘can-do’ attitude
- Excellent communication skills both face to face and written
- Be a professional relationship builder and customer service
- MS Word and Excel skills
- 3 years in a similar role
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a social, inspiring and positive working environment. You'll have the satisfaction of knowing that your work has a real impact on human health.
Located in modern offices, there is an on-site café and you are situated close to public transport and Darlinghurst’s trendy restaurants. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary, not-for-profit salary packaging and above market superannuation.
The position is offered part-time (25 hours per week) for 1 year in the first instance.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
As we are reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.