The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. We pioneer study into the most widespread diseases affecting our community today, including cancer, neurodegenerative and mental diseases, disorders of the immune system, diabetes and obesity, osteoporosis and other skeletal disorders.
The Cancer Research Division is an integrated series of strongly interactive research groups undertaking research aimed at increasing the knowledge base in the development, progression, treatment and prevention of human cancers. The Division provides a vibrant, multidisciplinary and interactive research environment, with major research interests in apoptosis, biomarker development, cancer genetics/genomics, cell cycle, developmental biology, epigenetics/epigenomics, invasion and metastasis, signal transduction, steroid hormone action and therapeutic development.
We are seeking an Animal Technician to provide for the care and maintenance of animals used in medical research projects directly related to the Personalised Cancer Therapeutics Lab.
Reporting to Laboratory Head - Personalised Cancer Therapeutics (Dr Marina Pajic), the key responsibilities include:
- Management of animal husbandry within the Biological Testing Facility. This includes data entry associated with measurements of treatment response, breeding records and maintenance of the Stuart Database.
- Ensuring animals have food and water at all times.
- Daily monitoring of animals and reporting health or behavioural abnormalities to more senior staff.
- Weighing and administering medication to animals as per our research projects, including dilutions of drugs and chemicals.
- Basic manipulation techniques - injections, bleeding techniques, euthanasia, administration of anaesthesia post mortems and tissue harvesting.
- Surgical Techniques -Subcutaneous and orthotopic (intrapancreatic and intrasplenic) surgeries and passaging of tumours.
- Administrative responsibilities: animal arrivals, monitoring sheets.
The role will be offered full-time for 1 year in the first instance.
The successful candidate will possess the following key skills and qualifications:
- Relevant TAFE qualification preferred, such as Certificate III in Animal Technology, Diploma in Animal Husbandry or equivalent
- General experience in handling rodents
- Basic knowledge of the husbandry, housing and breeding requirements of lab animals, including familiarity with the NHMRC “Australian code of practice for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes”
- Possess basic manipulation skills (i.e. injection technique, euthanasia)
- Possess a strong commitment to animal welfare and care
- Strong customer focus and commitment to quality
- Good communication skills
- Reliable, patient and trustworthy
- The ability to work individually or as a member of a group
- Attention to detail - observational skills
- Ability to organise own time - be able to schedule tasks using a work diary
- Professional approach to tasks
- Ability and motivation to develop new skills and learn new procedures
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter addressing the selection criteria above
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
We are reviewing applications as we receive them so don't wait to apply!