Principal Scientist - KCCG Core Facility
The Garvan Institute makes significant contributions to medical research changing the direction of science and medicine and having major impacts on human health. Garvan strives to enhance and develop research programs that combine fundamental science with strong clinical interactions.
Established by the Garvan Institute in 2012 the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics (KCCG) advances the use of genomic information in patient care. KCCG acts as a mechanism to translate genomic research information into patient care and uses world-leading OMICS based technology to enhance diagnosis and treatment for patients.
The KCCG Sequencing Laboratory provides state-of-the-art genomic sequencing, laboratory automation and high performance computing infrastructure, including the Illumina HiSeq X-Ten. The primary focus of the KCCG Sequencing Laboratory is to primarily provide genomic sequencing services to the research and clinical community.
We are seeking a Principal Scientist in the KCCG Sequencing Laboratory to provide supervision and leadership of the sequencing laboratory.
Reporting to the Laboratory Director, the key responsibilities include:
- Providing effective leadership of the KCCG Sequencing Laboratory including business, budget, financial and strategic planning in liaison with KCCG Laboratory Director and Laboratory Manager
- Defining, implementing and monitoring standards of performance and quality improvement of the pathology service
- Participating in the management group of the KCCG Sequencing Laboratory to provide leadership, direction and regular review of the laboratory’s quality system, proficiency testing, laboratory reports, infrastructure and other relevant aspects of the laboratory’s performance
- Overseeing professional, scientific, organisational, and administrative matters relating to the clinical and research services offered by the laboratory, including responsibility for the accuracy, quality, relevance, timeliness and cost effectiveness of all services provided by through KCCG Sequencing Laboratory
- Working closely with the Laboratory Director, to provide strategic and operational planning to support innovation to create and implement new sequencing products.
- Supervise appropriate numbers of staff who have the required education, training and competence to provide medical laboratory services that meet the needs and requirements of the users
The role will be offered full-time for 2 years in the first instance.
The successful candidate will possess the following key skills and attributes:
- PhD in Medical Sciences or related field and at least 5 years’ experience in a medical laboratory
- Specialist training in pathology or genetics through recognised professional qualification by the RCPA or HGSA (or equivalent) is preferable
- Demonstrated prior experience in clinical and/or research genomics, biotechnology or similar research field in any leadership capacity
- Strong skills in managing a multi-disciplinary team, recruitment and team building, preferably in life science or pathology
- Experience in clinical product development, preferably in pathology.
- Experience in business development and client relationship management
- Experience in overseeing quality control in a regulated (ISO) environment
- Ability to develop, manage and maintain internal and external relationships
- Highly developed written and verbal communications skills
- Acute technical analytic skills
- Highly developed skills in meeting facilitation and leadership
- Strong project management skills
- Financial skills and experience in budget management
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
This role will remain open until filled. As we will be reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit yours as soon as possible.
Unfortunately, this position is not eligible for visa sponsorship by the Garvan. Only applicants with current, unrestricted working rights in Australia can be considered for this role.