Laboratory Technician - Clinical Genomics Facility
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research operates the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics Core Facility, the largest genome sequencing facility in the Southern Hemisphere & Australia's premium provider of whole genome sequencing. Our primary focus is to provide a state-of-the-art genomics service and to assist clinical diagnosis based on personalised genomic information.
We’re currently looking for a talented and experienced Laboratory Technician. The Laboratory Technician is responsible for the core operation of our high-throughput sequencing facility by supporting the Laboratory Scientists with day-to-day work in our sequencing laboratory.
Reporting to the Laboratory Manager, the key responsibilities are:
- All procedures associated with library preparation and sequencer operation
- Performing various sample QC procedures
- Participate with core functions such as inventory management and sample accessioning
- Some supervised analysis of QC and run metric data
- Actively participate in team meetings including occasional representation of our group at larger organisational meeting
- Participate in development of new processes and procedures as assigned
The role will be offered full-time for 1 year in the first instance.
You will have the following key skills and experiences:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry or related field
- Knowledge of molecular biology equipment and related protocols required
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Prior experience in a next generation sequencing laboratory desirable
- Prior experience operating automated liquid handling systems desirable
- Experience working in an ISO accredited facility desirable
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
The position will remain open until 7 December 2018. As we are reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.