Research Assistant – Cancer Cell Plasticity
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. We pioneer study into the most widespread diseases affecting our community today, including cancer, neurodegenerative and mental diseases, disorders of the immune system, diabetes and obesity, osteoporosis and other skeletal disorders.
Dr. Christine Chaffer, Head of the Cancer Cell Plasticity Laboratory, is directing research into the mechanisms driving the progression of cancers from benign to metastatic disease. We use in vitro and in vivo models of tumourigenicity, and place a strong emphasis on clinically focused laboratory research in partnership with patients who donate their tissues for scientific discovery. A major focus of this work is to discover molecular mechanisms that enable breast cancers to progress to an advanced disease stage and become chemoresistant.
The Research Assistant reports to Dr. Chaffer and is responsible for developing the research into the molecular mechanisms regulating breast cancer cell plasticity and their role in driving tumour progression.
This role is full-time for an initial 1-year fixed term contract.
The successful candidate should possess the following:
- A Bachelor’s Degree (Hons) in Science, preferably in molecular biology, cell biology or biochemistry
- Experience with protein/biochemical techniques, such as immunoprecipitation and western blotting
- Experience with molecular biology techniques, such as PCR, RT-PCR, Q-PCR, sequencing, site-directed mutagenesis, transfection or gene knockdown
- Experience in flow cytometry
- Experience with mouse experiments
- Experience with in vitro cell culture of mammalian cell lines
- High motivation and commitment to achieving scientific goals
- Excellent time management and written communication skills
How to Apply
For more information, please contact Dr. Chaffer (email@example.com).
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
The position will remain open until 7 December 2018. As we will be reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit yours as soon as possible.