Senior Marketing and Communications Officer – Science
Established in 1981, the Garvan Research Foundation is the fundraising and marketing arm of the Garvan Institute of Medical Research, tasked with raising and administering vital funds from individuals, Trusts and Foundations, and corporate and community groups. The Foundation also delivers Garvan’s public engagement and awareness activities. These educate and advocate the need for and importance of Garvan's medical research as well as share news of its progress with the broader community. The success of the Foundation’s awareness campaigns and fundraising activities allow Garvan’s scientists to make discoveries which will ultimately lead to earlier diagnosis, better treatments, and prevention or cure of a range of diseases.
The Senior Marketing and Communications Officer – Science will be accountable for writing and creating communications that explains Garvan’s most impactful new research to both a peer and a consumer lay audience. Contributing to both internal and external science-based communications, the role involves developing a range of communications through the developing relationships and working closely within our researcher community. You must be able to decipher and translate ground-breaking and innovative medical research into inspiring content for a range of audiences and with the ultimate goal to drive awareness, engagement and support for Garvan.
If you're a creative communicator with a background in science and media engagement, and genuinely want to make a difference, we want to hear from you! This position is offered full-time for an initial 12-month term with the possibility of extension for the right candidate.
Reporting to the Marketing and Communications Manager, the key responsibilities include:
- Interpreting Garvan discoveries and scientific papers to engage and educate an external consumer audience by collaborating with Garvan’s research groups and individuals to proactively identify opportunities for stories that will resonate and engage when converted to lay language
- Be a sounding board for scientific accuracy on all internal and external facing communication
- Contributing content to Garvan's annual report and other Institute and Foundation publications as required, for external audiences
- Responsible for knowledge and insight across the broad science landscape globally and the work of other medical research institutes across Australia
- To evaluate and define opportunities that leverage our thought leadership position across publications, events, forums and digital platforms in science
- To contribute to strategic planning and to new communications initiatives
You will have the following skills and experience:
- A tertiary qualification and/or experience in life sciences or medical sciences, as well as qualification and/or experience in science communication (PhD in medical science highly regarded)
- Experience in writing and editing a range of material for various internal and external audiences
- Experience in preparation of visual and video content for science communication purposes
- A working knowledge of scientific research and culture and an understanding of research publication
- A strong track record in effectively communicating complex science to a non-scientific audience
- High level of initiative to find sources and develop relationships that will enable proactive planning of ongoing stories
- The capacity to work rapidly and accurately under pressure, and to respond to communication needs that may arise after working hours
- An ability to work effectively with co-workers as part of a team
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a social, inspiring and positive working environment with a competitive track record in attracting philanthropic support. You'll have the satisfaction of knowing that your work has a real impact on human health. You will be exposed to a wide range of projects and have the opportunity to contribute new ideas in an open environment. You will have direct access to exceptional scientists who support the work that we do - if you have an interest in science, there is no better place to work.
Located in modern offices, there is an on-site café and you are situated close to public transport and Darlinghurst’s trendy restaurants. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary, not-for-profit salary packaging and 10% superannuation.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter addressing the selection criteria above
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
We are reviewing applications as we receive them so don't wait to apply!