Research Assistant – Invasion & Metastasis
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. We pioneer study into the most widespread diseases affecting our community today, including cancer, neurodegenerative and mental diseases, disorders of the immune system, diabetes and metabolism, osteoporosis and other skeletal disorders: www.garvan.org.au.
We are seeking a dedicated Research Assistant to work in the Invasion and Metastasis Laboratory headed by Dr Paul Timpson. The role will be offered full-time for 2 years in the first instance. The Laboratory uses novel state-of-the-art imaging approaches, new fluorescent mouse models and in vitro three-dimensional tissue culture models to uncouple the metastatic spread of cancer into key stages in order to pinpoint critical events that drive tumour invasion and metastasis.
The project involves the use of a range of cellular and molecular biology techniques along with 2D and 3D in vitro and in vivo culture of tumour cells, fluorescence microscopy, PCR, gene cloning and siRNA and gene over expression studies. Advanced training in cutting-edge in vivo imaging and molecular techniques will be provided within the laboratory.
You will have the following key skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree (Hons) in Science, e.g. in Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry or related field
- Ideally candidates will have experience with molecular biology, tissue culture, flow cytometry, confocal microscopy and molecular biology techniques
- Willingness to do animal experimentation
- High attention to detail and ability to carry out routinely high quality work
- Excellent communication skills including written skills and the ability to work in a diverse, multicultural environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, preferably with Mac OS
We place an emphasis on good team spirit, cooperation, flexibility and excellent time management with a strong drive and commitment to produce high quality experimental outcomes.
Remuneration will be commensurate with experience and includes 14% superannuation and flexible salary packaging options.
Any additional enquiries may be directed via email to email@example.com.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
The position will remain open until filled. As we will be reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit yours as soon as possible.