The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. At Garvan our research is focused upon understanding the role of genes and molecular and cellular processes in health and disease as the basis for developing future preventions, treatments and cures. Our scientists are researchers who work towards making significant breakthroughs in scientific discovery to positively impact human health.
Our support staff are the foundation of our scientific operations and we only recruit the best talent. Our support teams are experts in their fields and are driven by the dynamic culture, innovation and cutting-edge research that Garvan offers. The Garvan Engineering Team is part of the Operations Department that encompasses Building Services, Scientific Services and Infrastructure Groups. The Engineering Team is responsible for all building plant and electrical systems associated with the functioning of the buildings as well as selected scientific research equipment. These include building systems such as chilled water plants, steam generating plants, HW plant, compressed air, medical gas transmission, vacuum plant, automatic transfer to generator systems, and electrical transmission systems.
We are currently seeking a qualified Electrical Technician to join our Operations Team. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the role will maintain and supply electrical services throughout the Garvan Institute and The Kinghorn Cancer Centre buildings. The incumbent will be required to liaise with other members of the Development and Support Group such as IT and Foundation to ensure the smooth running of systems and events within the buildings. The role is offered full-time on a 1-year term in the first instance.
The key responsibilities include:
- Maintain electrical equipment within the buildings, following a preventative maintenance schedule, and responding to emergency repairs
- Identify and report all maintenance, remedial works, upgrades, modifications or deficiencies to management
- Maintain costs to a minimum, while ensuring an efficient and compliant service
- Meet deadlines as agreed for routine maintenance repairs and project work
- Willingness to work outside of normal hours for on-call incidents/events
- Basic understanding and functioning of the Building Management and Control Systems (BMCS)
- Experience with lighting control systems such as Cbus and Dynalite
- Organise, manage and supervise external contractors as required
You will have the following qualifications, experience and skills:
- NSW Electrical Supervisors Certificate
- A minimum of 2 years’ post trade electrical experience
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in the repair and maintenance of electronic equipment
- Experience in a research environment desirable
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills across all levels
- Excellent customer service skills
- Pride and passion for their quality of work
- Ability to liaise with contractors, employees, clients and managers
- Ability and motivation to develop new skills and learn new procedures
- Competence in Microsoft Office products
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
As we will be reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit yours as soon as possible.
Garvan is committed to creating and supporting an equitable and inclusive working environment for its staff. All staff are treated with respect and encouraged to fulfil their potential regardless of race, gender, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, or physical disability.