Animal Technician - Australian BioResources Facility, Moss Vale
Moss Vale, NSW
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. We pioneer study into the most widespread diseases affecting our community today, including cancer, neurodegenerative and mental diseases, disorders of the immune system, diabetes and obesity, osteoporosis and other skeletal disorders.
The Australian BioResources Facility, owned and operated by the Garvan, breeds high quality laboratory mice for Garvan’s medical research programmes. This facility, based in Moss Vale in the Southern Highlands, uses advanced technology to provide an optimal environment for the production of high quality animals for medical research.
We are currently seeking a talented and reliable Animal Technician for the Australian BioResources Facility. The principle responsibilities of this position involve the breeding, maintenance and care of inbred and genetically manipulated mouse colonies within a clean room environment.
You will need to possess the following skills and experiences:
- Relevant TAFE qualifications preferred. No formal qualifications required although a willingness to undertake relevant technical qualification is desirable.
- Possess a strong commitment to animal welfare and care
- General experience in handling rodents
- Basic knowledge of the husbandry, housing and breeding requirements of lab animals
- Possess basic manipulation skills (i.e. injection technique, euthanasia) or ability to learn
- Excellent attention to detail and observational skills
- Strong customer focus and commitment to quality
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Reliable, patient and trustworthy
- The ability to work individually or as a member of a group
- Ability to organise own time – able to schedule tasks using a work diary
- Ability and motivation to develop new skills and learn new procedures
The position is a 1-year fixed term position based in Moss Vale, with a possibility of renewal. The successful applicant must be available to participate in weekend work and public holiday rosters.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
The closing date for applications is 7 September 2018. Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.