The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. At Garvan our research is focused upon understanding the role of genes and molecular and cellular processes in health and disease as the basis for developing future preventions, treatments and cures. Our scientists are researchers who work towards making significant breakthroughs in scientific discovery to positively impact human health.
Our support staff are the foundation of our scientific operations and we only recruit the best talent. Our support teams are experts in their fields and are driven by the dynamic culture, innovation and cutting-edge research that Garvan offers. The Operations department provides services to Garvan in building infrastructure and office and laboratory support.
We are currently seeking a casual Cleaner in our Operations team to carry out cleaning tasks, general maintenance and movement of heavy items to ensure that building facilities are in good condition and support the smooth operations of the Institute. Reporting to the Building Services Manager, the key responsibilities include:
- Cleaning tasks including mopping, sweeping and dusting
- General and scientific waste management including recycling
- Laboratory equipment and furniture movement
- Mail distribution and deliveries
- Kitchen and café maintenance
- Hands-on assistance for event set-up and breakdown
You will have the following skills and experience:
- No formal qualifications required – on-the-job training will be provided
- Ability to perform heavy lifting
- Prior experience working in an operations, cleaning, or labouring position
- “Hands-on” initiative in carrying out assigned tasks
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with customer-focussed approach
- Computer literacy including basic data entry and email
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
As we will be reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit yours as soon as possible.