Innovation Manager, Business Development and Innovation
Garvan’s research is focused upon understanding the genetic, molecular and cellular processes that underpin human biology, health and disease as the basis for developing future preventions, treatments and cures. To do this, it endeavours to attract, support and sustain the most gifted scientists.
Our research support teams are no different, and are focused on the same outcomes by providing the infrastructure and pathways to enable research excellence and implementation into the healthcare system and the innovation economy. Like our scientists, we only recruit the best talent for our support teams. Our support teams are experts in their fields and are driven by the dynamic culture, cutting edge facilities and innovative research that the Garvan offers.
The Business Development and Innovation (BDI) Office undertakes a number of core functions:
- Innovation and new technology assessment
- Intellectual Property (IP) capture and management,
- Commercial assessment, market analysis and business planning
- Commercialisation projects and spin-offs
- Business development, licensing and investment
We are currently seeking a commercially astute Innovation Manager to work within our small, busy BDI team. Reporting to the Head, Business Development and Innovation, the Innovation Manager primarily manages activities relating to the engagement of researchers in innovation and technology development; and in the capture of IP in patent filings, documentation and marketing materials. The Innovation Manager will nonetheless, have exposure to and support the other BDI functions also working in close cooperation with the legal team and the facilities team as part of operations.
Key responsibilities include:
- Meeting regularly with scientists to discuss and review innovation disclosures, and for research updates
- Identifying new innovation opportunities and assessing their value and commercial potential, and subsequently maximising the impact from the IP
- Assisting scientists to undertake early stage commercialisation projects and/or preparing for further grant proposal, investor pitches or other support
- Development of patent and non-patent strategy and addressing IP/patent issues with the patent attorneys to ensure that research and patent strategy are aligned
- Preparing background documents for patent decision meetings (e.g. PCT/National Phase, decisions to abandon)
- Developing innovation programs comprising seminars and training sessions to encourage innovation and involvement from scientists and collaborators
- Supporting marketing of IP assets and subsequent commercial engagements with pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies and other potential partners
You will possess the following key qualifications and skills:
- PhD in molecular biology, bioinformatics, biochemistry or other related discipline
- Post-doctoral research with industry exposure or experience is highly desirable
- Good knowledge of intellectual property management and experience with licensing
- Good knowledge and aptitude for business development and client relationship management
- Ability to develop, manage and maintain internal and external relationships
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Highly developed written and verbal communications skills
- Strong and confident presentation and facilitation skills
- Strong project management skills
- Computer literacy, experience and competent in the suite of Microsoft Office software (i.e. Word, PowerPoint and Excel), MS Project and equivalent on Mac platforms
- Ability to prioritise tasks and work to deadlines
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a social, inspiring and positive working environment. You'll have the satisfaction of knowing that your work has a real impact on human health.
Located in modern offices, there is an on-site café and you are situated close to public transport and Darlinghurst’s trendy restaurants. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary, not-for-profit salary packaging and above market superannuation.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including 3 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
As we are reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.