Animal Technician - Cancer
Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW
The Garvan Institute is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutions with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. We pioneer study into the most widespread diseases affecting our community today, including cancer, neurodegenerative and mental diseases, disorders of the immune system, diabetes and obesity, osteoporosis and other skeletal disorders.
Applications are invited for an Animal Technician to join the Personalised Cancer Therapeutics Group within the Cancer Division, to carry out routine animal monitoring and basic animal and laboratory procedures. This is a one-of-a-kind opportunity for an outstanding technician who wants to move beyond the animal room and into a dynamic research group.
This 10-month maternity leave replacement position is full time, however, part-time hours can be negotiated for continuing TAFE students.
The successful candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Demonstrated commitment to animal welfare and care
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well within a team environment
- Be meticulous in attention to detail
- Possess strong organisational skills
- Demonstrated high level of reliability
- Ability and motivation to develop new skills and learn new procedures
- Familiarity with the NHMRC “Australian code of practice for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes”
- Experience in laboratory animal field and be familiar with the use of genetically modified mouse strains and medical research models
- Relevant qualifications would include Certificate III in Animal Technology, Diploma in Animal Husbandry or equivalent
- A basic knowledge of veterinary and medical terminology
- Basic manipulation skills with laboratory rodents (e.g. restraint, injections and blood collection)
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
The position will remain open until filled. As we will be reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit yours as soon as possible.