Senior Animal Technician - Biological Testing Facility
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. We pioneer study into the most widespread diseases affecting our community today, including cancer, neurodegenerative and mental diseases, disorders of the immune system, diabetes and obesity, osteoporosis and other skeletal disorders.
Biological Testing Facility
The Biological Testing Facility (BTF) at Garvan is a centralised Specific Pathogen Free (SPF) facility with housing and phenotypic analysis of small rodents and zebrafish. BTF staff are trained in the care and husbandry of these animals and the facility offers full time veterinary support. The facility contains specialised equipment for phenotyping genetically modified (GM) mice including the oxymax indirect calorimetry, dexascan along with other specialised facilities/equipment to assist with biomedical research including in vivo animal imaging, irradiator, PC2 rodent facilities, variable temperature and reverse light cycle room and the behavioural phenotyping facility.
We are currently seeking a talented and experienced Senior Animal Technician (SAT) to provide for the care and maintenance of animals used in medical research and to indirectly support research staff involved in animal research. The primary focus of the SAT is to be responsible for the day-to-day running of the BTF zebrafish facility. The role will involve training and coordinating Animal Technicians in the zebrafish facility. The position involves oversight of the quality of animal care and reviewing work procedures. The position will also include management of breeding programs including the development and use of advanced reproductive techniques such as cryopreservation and IVF, training of research staff, assistance with research protocols, administrative roles and development of procedures.
To be successful in this role, you will have the following skills and experience:
- Relevant TAFE certificate, Bachelor of Science/Biological Sciences Degree or equivalent
- Strong knowledge of regulations pertaining to the use of animals in research
- Strong knowledge of and prior experience in the husbandry, housing and breeding requirements of laboratory zebrafish
- Sound knowledge of the husbandry, housing and breeding requirements of laboratory rodents
- Strong commitment to animal welfare and care
- Prior experience with staff/researcher training
- Ability to guide and supervise others
- Good administrative and computer skills (Macintosh competent) – ability to write reports and draft procedures
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong customer focus and commitment to quality
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
22 April 2018