Senior Manager – Academic Partnerships
Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW
Garvan’s research is focused upon understanding the genetic, molecular and cellular processes that underpin human biology, health and disease as the basis for developing future preventions, treatments and cures. To do this, it endeavours to attract, support and sustain the most gifted scientists.
Our administration and support teams are no different, and are focused on the same outcomes by providing the infrastructure and pathways to enable research excellence and implementation into the healthcare system and the innovation economy. Like our scientists, we only recruit the best talent in areas of Legal, Business Development & Innovation, Finance, Human Resources, Work Health & Safety, Operations, Information Technology and scientific services. Our support teams are experts in their fields and are driven by the dynamic culture, cutting edge facilities and innovative research that the Garvan offers. At Garvan no two days are the same.
We are currently seeking a commercially astute Senior Manager to work within our small, busy legal team who will take a lead role in negotiating, reviewing and managing agreements relating to Garvan’s research activities and intellectual property. You will have the opportunity to develop your expertise with a strong and talented team. You will also work closely with other Institute offices including Business Development & Innovation, Grants Administration and Research Governance to ensure agreements entered into by the Institute are appropriately risk managed and consistent with Garvan’s strategic objectives.
Key responsibilities and duties include:
- Acting as the point of contact for any agreements between Garvan researchers and external parties
- Negotiating, preparing and managing a range of academic and commercial agreements (such as research, inter-institutional, material transfer and licence agreements) to facilitate research related activities and to provide assistance to the Business Development and Innovation team
- Monitoring post-contract activities
- Advising on intellectual property strategy
- Developing, reviewing and implementing policies, procedures and systems in relation to Legal office activities and risk management to improve productivity and effectiveness
- Running various internal training programs for researchers
- Preparing reports for the Garvan Board & Executive Management Group
This full-time position will initially be offered on a 2-year fixed term with a possibility of extension or conversion to permanent.
The successful candidate will possess the following key qualifications and skills:
- PhD in chemistry, cell or molecular biology, or related field is essential. A postgraduate business qualification will be highly regarded.
- Minimum 3 years post-doctoral experience in a research environment, followed by 3 - 5 years in either industry or a technology transfer office
- Commercially astute with strong attention to detail
- Ability to build rapport and maintain solid working relationships
- Experience in reviewing and negotiating legal agreements
- Ability to systematically analyse complex problems, draw relevant conclusions and implement appropriate solutions
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to convey complex information in a way that others can readily follow
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritise work in a dynamic environment
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including 3 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
The closing date is 3 May 2018. As we are reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.