Contract Manager - Research Agreements
Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW
Garvan’s research is focused upon understanding the genetic, molecular and cellular processes that underpin human biology, health and disease as the basis for developing future preventions, treatments and cures. To do this, it endeavours to attract, support and sustain the most gifted scientists.
Our administration and support teams are no different, and are focused on the same outcomes by providing the infrastructure and pathways to enable research excellence and implementation into the healthcare system and the innovation economy. Like our scientists, we only recruit the best talent for our support teams. Our support teams are experts in their fields and are driven by the dynamic culture, cutting edge facilities and innovative research that the Garvan offers.
We are currently seeking a commercially astute Manager to work within our small, busy Legal team. You who will take a lead role in negotiating, reviewing and managing agreements relating to Garvan’s research activities and intellectual property. You will have the opportunity to develop your expertise with a strong and talented team. You will also work closely with other Institute teams including Business Development & Innovation, Grants Administration and Research Governance to ensure agreements entered into by the Institute are appropriately risk managed and consistent with Garvan’s strategic objectives.
Key responsibilities and duties include:
- Acting as the point of contact for any agreements between Garvan researchers and external parties
- Negotiating, preparing and managing a range of academic and commercial agreements (such as research, inter-institutional, material transfer and licence agreements) to facilitate research related activities and to provide assistance to the Business Development and Innovation team
- Monitoring post-contract activities
- Advising on intellectual property protection
- Developing, reviewing and implementing policies, procedures and systems in relation to Legal office activities and risk management to improve productivity and effectiveness
- Running various internal training programs for researchers
- Preparing reports for the Garvan Board & Executive Management Group
This full-time position will initially be offered on a 3-year fixed term with a possibility of extension or conversion to permanent.
You will possess the following key qualifications and skills:
- Honours degree in chemistry, cell or molecular biology, or related field – or equivalent experience. A postgraduate qualification in the fields above and/or in business will be highly regarded.
- Minimum 3 years experience in a research environment, followed by 3 years in industry, technology transfer or another relevant environment
- Commercially astute with an understanding of intellectual property (its protection and exploitation)
- Impeccable attention to detail and strong proof reading skills
- Ability to build rapport and maintain solid working relationships
- Ability to review and negotiate legal agreements
- Ability to systematically analyse complex problems, draw relevant conclusions and implement appropriate solutions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to convey complex information in a way that others can readily follow
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritise work in a dynamic environment
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including 3 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
As we are reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.