Work Health & Safety Administrator
Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW
At Garvan our research is focused upon understanding the role of genes and molecular and cellular processes in health and disease as the basis for developing future preventions, treatments and cures. Our scientists are researchers who work towards making significant breakthroughs in scientific discovery to positively impact human health.
Our support staff are the foundation of our scientific operations and we only recruit the best talent. Our support teams are experts in their fields and are driven by the dynamic culture, innovation and cutting edge research that the Garvan offers.
We are now seeking a part-time Work Health & Safety (WHS) Administrator for three days a week to assist and support our two WHS Coordinators in the administration of day-to-day WHS activities and to contribute to special WHS projects from time to time. This role is offered for an initial 12-month period.
This position will work closely with the WHS team to maintain and improve safety and laboratory compliance systems including consultation, documentation, record keeping, training and equipment. The key duties include:
- Conducting new personnel and contractor inductions
- Maintaining WHS and compliance databases and records such as training, incident reporting, committee and emergency
- Updating and maintaining the online training platform, WHS intranet site and noticeboards
- Checking and restocking chemical spill kits and first aid kits
- Assisting staff with WHS-related issues and queries
- Supporting risk assessment activities across Garvan
- Assisting with workplace inspections and other internal audit activities
- Contributing to special projects as directed
- Contributing to a positive safety culture within Garvan
While specific formal qualifications are not required for this role, the incumbent should have the following competencies and experience:
- Excellent written and oral communications
- Comfortable presenting to small groups and interacting with staff, contractors and visitors
- Excellent attention to detail
- Willingness to learn new skills and be flexible in work practices
- Strong customer service ethic and approach
- Competent in the use of key desktop applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and intranet platforms)
- Commitment to best practice in WHS
- Previous experience and demonstrated success in an administrative role
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience in WHS principles
In return for your professionalism and positive attitude, you will become part of a friendly and cohesive team that is flexible and supportive.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
As we are reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.