Administrative Assistant – Cancer
Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW
At Garvan, our research is focused upon understanding the role of genes and molecular and cellular processes in health and disease as the basis for developing future preventions, treatments and cures. Our scientists are researchers who work towards making significant breakthroughs in scientific discovery to positively impact human health. The Genomic Cancer Medicine Program (GCMP) comprises two arms: a Molecular Screening and Therapeutics (MoST) study and a Cancer Risk study.
The GCMP is looking for an Administrative Assistant who will be responsible for coordinating the administrative component of patient participation in the study. The role is responsible for providing a wide range of secretarial and administrative support to assist in the smooth functioning of the GCMP. These services involve several tasks requiring accuracy and attention to detail. The position is required to meet time constraints and to work, at times, under pressure. Reporting to the Group Leader of Genetic Cancer Risk, the role will be for an initial term of 1 year (full-time).
The key responsibilities are:
- Assisting the GCMP Research Coordinators and Program Manager
- Coordinate diaries and arrange appointments, meetings, functions as necessary for the GCMP team
- Preparation, oversight and data entry of correspondences, appointments, notes, reports, presentations, etc., for the GCMP team
- Liaise with clinical staff to arrange appointments
- Collect clinical data from external providers
- Assistance and liaison with internal and external collaborators as required
The incumbent should have experience working as a Personal Assistant, and possess the following skills and experience:
- Considerable, recent experience in clerical and administrative position(s) undertaking a full range of responsibilities
- Demonstrated experience using a wide range of software including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Well-developed computer skills (e.g. problem solving capacity and ability to use new systems quickly and to use manuals, tutorials, etc.)
- Well-developed organisational and administrative skills (e.g. committees, travel, meeting planning)
- Flexibility and enthusiasm in attitude and approach – a desire to do (proactively) what needs to be done in a small office environment
- Problem solving abilities (e.g. as demonstrated by personal example from previous employment)
- A strong commitment to quality and professionalism
- Well-developed communication skills and interpersonal skills appropriate for productive interaction with a full range of scientific and non-scientific professionals
- Previous experience in a health care environment and knowledge and/or experience with database systems and records management is desirable
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers website:
Please prepare and submit your application following the instructions below:
- A cover letter addressing the selection criteria above
- Your resume including 3 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
We are reviewing applications as they are received. Candidates are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible.