Senior Research Coordinator – Cancer
Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW
At Garvan, our research is focused upon understanding the role of genes and molecular and cellular processes in health and disease as the basis for developing future preventions, treatments and cures. Our scientists are researchers who work towards making significant breakthroughs in scientific discovery to positively impact human health. The Genetic Cancer Risk Group encompasses several cohort studies investigating the heritable aspects of cancer and clinical risk management in the genomic era.
We currently have an opportunity for a talented Senior Research Coordinator with strong interpersonal and administrative skills. The role will be responsible for coordinating the participation of individuals in the cohorts and associated projects. Reporting to the Group Leader of Genetic Cancer Risk, the role will be for an initial term of 1 year (full-time).
The key responsibilities are:
- Identify suitable research participants
- Explain the research projects and obtain informed consent
- Arrange appointments with study participants
- Provide general information about the projects
- Administer research questionnaires using professional interview techniques
- Coordinate blood collections and liaise with pathology services to obtain tumour samples, coordinate sample transfer and storage
- Collect clinical data and perform data entry
- Follow up with family members eligible for participation
- Verify participant reported information using established mechanisms
- Coordinate all aspects of study participation in a well-organised manner
- Ensure data security is maintained to protect patient records, both physically and electronically
- Assist with coordination and administration of associated projects
The successful candidate will possess the following key skills and qualifications:
- An appropriate science, psychology or related degree, or equivalent
- A strong commitment to quality
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Sensitivity to patients privacy and needs
- Excellent attention to detail
- Consistent interpretation of data
- Previous experience in a similar role and knowledge and/or experience with database systems and records management is desirable
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers website:
Please prepare and submit your application following the instructions below:
- A cover letter addressing the selection criteria above
- Your resume including 3 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
We are reviewing applications as they are received. Candidates are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible.