Senior Software Engineer - DICE
Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is about changing the practice of medicine, and has embraced genomics – from single cells, to population-scale cohorts – as the underlying technology to deliver this change. Historically, generating data has been the bottleneck to most scientific endeavours, but from the time that the first human genome was sequenced, more than a million-fold improvement in the speed and cost of sequencing means that it’s become easier to generate data than ever before, and we’re generating much more of it!
This opportunity is for a talented and motivated software engineer with a strong background in computer engineering, excellent programming skills, and a passion for learning about genomics to join the Data Intensive Computer Engineering (DICE) team. The primary focus is to develop reliable, robust software that significantly reduces genome-over-genome engineering time. Engineers (with at least a 4-year Bachelor’s degree) at all levels of experience are welcome to apply for this 2-year position (with the possibility of extension). The position reports to the Chief of Informatics.
Some essential responsibilities are:
- The production workflow engineer will transform research-grade bioinformatics analysis workflows into products that are more robust, transparent, as well as deployable in any environment from a single code base
- Become a valuable member of Garvan’s DICE team regarding the building of software pipelines that will run on DICE’s research computing environment, Australia’s supercomputing facility, the National Computational Infrastructure (NCI), as well as on commercial clouds
- Work in a small team with a focus on excellence
- Four-year degree in computer engineering, science or related technical field
- Proficient in Python, Java, or Scala, and having the ability to learn any new language or framework as required
- Linux bash/shell scripts
- Cloud environments (AWS/Google cloud/Azure)
- Familiarity with Containers like Docker, and container-orchestration software like Kubernetes, docker-swarm, Mesos, etc.
- Familiarity with Apache Spark, YARN and map-reduce
- Familiar with HPC job schedulers
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via Garvan’s Careers site:
Please include the following in your application:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications and academic transcripts
We are reviewing applications as they are received, as such candidates are encouraged to submit their application as soon as possible.