Senior Software Engineer – Genome Informatics
Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW
Garvan aspires to fundamentally understand diseases that will enable the delivery of better health for Australians and all mankind. Genomics is a key component for realising this vision.
The goal of Garvan’s Genome Informatics team is to make the genomes of patient-cohorts accessible and useful. Our primary focus is to develop reliable, robust, and user-friendly software that significantly reduces cohort-over-cohort engineering time, while making it easy for our users to make genome discoveries. Our scalable genome databases and low latency queries provide real time exploration across billions of data points through our interactive front-end. We have no shortage of difficult problems and challenges.
This opportunity is for a talented and motivated software engineer with a strong background in computer science, excellent front-end development skills, and passion for learning about clinical genomics to join the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics’s (KCCG) software development team. Engineers (with at least a 4-year Bachelor’s degree) at all levels of experience are welcome to apply for this 2-year position (with the possibility of extension). The position reports to the Chief of Informatics.
Some essential responsibilities are:
- Work closely with the Genome Informatics and Data Intensive Computer Engineering (DICE) teams
- Own all aspects of product development
- Maintain highest standards of excellence and never settle for the status quo
- Deep dive into your customers’ problems and find efficient solutions
- Provide strong technical leadership and focus on continuous improvement
- Bachelor of Science in computer science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Professional experience with modern front-end frameworks like Angular2+, Vue.js or React
- Able to learn any new language or technology in a matter of weeks
- Experience with back-end technologies would be a plus
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via Garvan’s Careers site:
Please include the following in your application:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications and academic transcripts
We are reviewing applications as they are received, as such candidates are encouraged to submit their application as soon as possible.