Research Assistant – Translational Oncology Laboratory
Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW
At Garvan, our research is focused upon understanding the role of genes and molecular and cellular processes in health and disease as the basis for developing future preventions, treatments and cures. Our scientists are researchers who work towards making significant breakthroughs in scientific discovery to positively impact human health.
We currently have an opportunity for a talented Research Assistant to join the Translational Oncology Laboratory (TOL) on a one-year term. The objective of TOL is to incorporate high-quality correlative studies into multiple clinical trials being conducted by researchers at the Garvan Institute. The laboratory will use various techniques that allow systematic analysis of tumour tissues and patient blood samples pre and post treatment. These studies will enable us to define the mechanisms of drug action/sensitivity, primary or acquired resistance, and side effects to improve responses and reduce toxicities.
For example, one trial is The Molecular Screening and Therapeutics program (MoST) being conducted at the Garvan Institute . For this trial, we will determine the immune status pre and post treatment. We will also investigate biomarkers that have been reported to correlate with response to checkpoint blockade as well as about 30 immune targets that are currently in late phase development or being tested in other tumour subtypes. Inflammatory cytokines will be measured from either serum or plasma.
To be considered for this position, you will possess the following key skills and attributes:
- B.Sc. (Hons)/Masters or equivalent degree
- Required experience with immunology techniques including immunohistochemistry, multi-parametric Flow Cytometry, ELISA, Cytokine bead arrays,
- Experience with mammalian cell culture, and tissue processing
- Experience with DNA/RNA extraction from FF, FFPE and buffy coat
- Experience with DNA/RNA analysis techniques, including qPCR, NGS, and RNASeq is highly desired
- Strong commitment to quality and attention to detail
- Critical thinking skills required for interpretation of data and trouble shooting
- Excellent oral, writing and organisational skills
- Ability to work both independently and as a team player
- Solid experience in a similar role
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers website:
Please prepare and submit your application as per the directions below:
- A cover letter addressing the selection criteria above
- Your resume including 3 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
21 February 2017