Research Assistant – Genomics and Epigenetics
Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW
At Garvan our research is focused upon understanding the role of genes and molecular and cellular processes in health and disease as the basis for developing future preventions, treatments and cures. Our scientists are researchers who work towards making significant breakthroughs in scientific discovery to positively impact human health.
We currently have an opportunity for a talented Research Assistant to join the Cancer Epigenetics Research Group, to investigate the complexity of human epigenetic mechanisms and their role in cancer. The focus of this position will be to help in conducting and developing molecular biology techniques for cancer epigenetic research projects. In particular, the Research Assistant will use DNA methylation sequencing to identify novel biomarkers and biological mechanisms in cancer. This position would especially suit an honours graduate who is interested in pursuing a PhD in this field.
Skills & Experience Required
- First class honours or a Research Masters in science or a related field
- Experience with molecular biology techniques such as nucleic acid isolation, PCR and sequencing
- An interest in statistical analysis methods and bioinformatics would be advantageous
- Critical thinking skills required for interpretation of results and troubleshooting
- Excellent communication skills, and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong commitment to quality and attention to detail
- Comfortable with basic decision making
- Good organisational and administrative skills
About the Project
Our laboratory is investigating the molecular mechanisms at play in the prostate cancer microenvironment. Our aim is to understand the biology of how the cells surrounding the tumour promote tumour growth, and to apply this knowledge to the development of new epigenetic diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers in prostate cancer. We are currently seeking a Research Assistant to join the team to help in conducting the experiments for this project. Specific responsibilities will be to perform multiplex PCR and methylation sequencing on clinical samples. There will be the opportunity to learn data analysis and bioinformatics skills, to interpret results, and to contribute to peer-reviewed publications. There will also be the opportunity to work on other research projects within the laboratory, as well as general administration and housekeeping duties.
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
How to Apply
Please prepare and submit your application as per the directions below:
- A cover letter addressing the selection criteria above
- Your resume including 3 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
All applications must be submitted via Garvan’s careers website:
We are reviewing applications as they are received. Candidates are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible. For further queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.